- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (plus some to taste)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- In the top of a double boiler or heat-proof bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they are thick & sticky.
- Whisk in water and lemon juice.
- Place pan over a saucepan of simmering (NOT boiling) water.
- Whisk until mixture is warm (about 2 minutes). The yolk mixture has thickened enough when you can see the bottom of the pan between whisk strokes and the mixture forms a light cream on the wires of the whisk.
- While whisking the yolk mixture, add the pieces of butter, a tbsp or 2 at a time, whisking them thoroughly before adding more.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt, pepper & more lemon juice.
- To keep the sauce warm until you serve, set the pan in warm water.
Please click on the banner below & vote for my blog! 1 click = 1 vote! You can vote once per day! Thank you!