- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (I usually double this because we LOVE garlic)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced (or chopped - these are optional - photos do not show them but we usually have them)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Pasta of choice - traditionally egg noodles but we have served it with penne, spiral noodles & ziti - anything goes here
1. Put on pasta water to boil (this whole meal takes about 30 to 40 minutes to cook completely so start the water first so pasta will be ready when meat is finished)
2. Brown ground beef over medium high heat - I like to break it up into small pieces to make it easier for the kids to eat.
3. Drain beef and set aside. Add butter to pan.
4. Add onion (and mushrooms) if using in the recipe. Saute until onions are soft.
5. Once onions (& mushrooms) are sauteed, add garlic & cook about 2 more minutes - don't add too early or it could burn.
6. Add flour to pan & let it soak up the butter.
7. Pour in beef broth and whisk QUICKLY to avoid having lumps.
8. Increase heat to high and let boil for 3 to 5 minutes - sauce will thicken.
9. Whisk in sour cream.
10. Whisk in Cream of Mushroom soup.
11. Season to taste with salt & pepper (I use UNsalted butter so I probably use about 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of salt & 1/2 tsp pepper) - if you use salted butter you might want to just add a pinch of salt here.
12. Add back meat & let it warm up. Serve over noodles.
Please take a moment to click on the banners below to vote for my blog! 1 click = 1 vote & you can vote once per day on each banner! Thank you!